Sunday, March 16, 2008

Vintage Part Two

It's getting late for me and my mind is a bit fuzzy from a frustrating day. But I was re-reading my above post and I was thinking again about vintage..... One more element that antique and vintage has is history and how history adds a "personality" to an object. It been through something and it now sits comfortably in our emotional response to that past.... even if it was before our time.  In Blade Runner in order to control the newer model replicants,  they were given implants of past memories to "cushion" their emotional lives and make them even more like us. Perhaps we see antiques and vintage in a similar way... we feel they have history and thus they have more human like qualities we can romanticize. In these moments we feel an affinity with the dress, or pot holder, or rocking chair. We can possess it's past by possessing it. And it let's us.

No comments: